Sunday 24 February 2013

Sampler Block Progress

Seems like ages since I posted the first two blocks for my MIL's special birthday sampler.  In February I feel like I've either struggled to have time to sew, or spent that time keeping up with things with closer deadlines. But I haven't forgotten my plans to keep ahead with the sampler blocks.  So this week I have some new additions to share with you.

First up is this weird looking block -

Quatrefoil block

It's the quatrefoil block but my placement of that plaid fabric is doing something squiffy with the visual effect.  I didn't foresee this problem and hated it at first, but I'm getting used to it.  The pattern was from the Modern Blocks book and pieced together very nicely.

Starflower block
Then, I had a wee go at Modify Tradition's starflower tutorial.  I've wanted to make one of these for a long, long time but just never seem to get around to it.  I think I also have to be in the mood to tackle HSTs because the perfectionist in me hates when the points get lost.  This block proves that HSTs can be worth the effort though.  I love it and hope this won't be the last one I make.

Mosaic block

As a wee bonus I stitched up a third block this month - the mosaic block.  I did try to find a tutorial online but wasn't successful.  It wasn't too hard to figure it out myself though and I think I might even manage to hold on to those points once the sashing is added at a later point!

It's fun to choose individual blocks for a sampler quilt, but it's also hard not to get carried away and want to make every block I come across.  Decision making is difficult because there are just so many options - feels like being a child in a sweetie shop.  Wonder which blocks I'll come up with next?


7 comments:

  1. These blocks look so clean and fresh. I love your choice of fabrics. This is going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blocks are really lovely and I smiled when I read that the plaid fabric was doing something squiffy with the visual effect! It is because it isn't symmetrical and not perfectly regular! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats why I love sampler quilts so much, I love having ago at different blocks.
    It's hard to choose which ones to do, there are so many nice ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THese are lovely! I'll send you the notes for broken wheel incase you want to have a go at that one too! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous blocks Sarah, the quilt is going to be stunning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the fabrics for this quilt, Sarah! And I don't think there's anything 'squiffy' at all about the quatrefoil block... It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a sampler quilt! I did one a while back for my in laws ruby anniversary. These fabrics are lucious! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...