Sunday 27 October 2013

Disappearing Four Patch Cushion

The big question today is, why did I never try this before?

Reminds me of Opal Fruits (or Starburst for you young 'uns)

Seriously, how did I not realise that it was such a nice finish to conceal the zip in the cushion backing this way and quite straightforward to do?  What's even more terrible is that my great friend Judith has a fab tutorial showing exactly how it should be done and I have only just tried it for the first time this week!  Sometimes I am slow on the uptake, I tell you. I did line my backing but that bit was easy peasy to add to Judith's lovely clear instructions.


 So, here is the finished article.  A 24" disappearing four patch cushion.


Lightly handquilted in perle cottons.


Fabrics selected to tone in with a Scrumptious layer cake which will become a very simple quilt one of these days. I am just itching to get at it but better wait until there's a finish on my red and cream hipbees quilt - now there's motivation if ever I heard it!


So, here's what I learned on this project -

1. I really like the disappearing 4 patch (d4p) block.
2. I learned how to calculate fabric requirements the d4p block.
3. I think the d4p pattern looks much better in a larger quilt - the secondary patterns are distorted a little on the curve of the cushion which you don't get on the flat expanse of a quilt. And, of course, on a quilt you have more blocks to show off the pattern in.
4. Concealed zip backings aren't anywhere near as difficult as I thought.
5. Maybe it would have looked better if I'd finished it with binding rather than just sewing up and turning through.

All in all though, I'm happy enough with my experiment and even more thrilled that the colours work well with the Scrumptious fabrics.


PS If you have large scale print fabrics that you want to use but don't want to chop up into weeny pieces and lose the look, I think that a larger version of the disappearing four patch block would be ideal for showcasing them.

15 comments:

  1. Very pretty. As usual I just love your hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hand quilting is perfect, missus! I've never tried one of those concealed zips either - they look amazing so it's good to know they are easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so lovely, those colours are so sweet!!!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty cushion! Looks fab! As a recent concealed zipper convert, it's surprising just how easy they are! And that Judith is such a clever lady! Now get your reds sorted as I can't wait to see what you do with scrumptious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, very nice, love those colours :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I will have to try Jude's tute as well. I've been contemplating a concealed zip for ages and putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! A new technique to add to your armoury!! I really like this cushion, and the D4p pattern! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the DP4 Sarah, so glad you shared it with us (afraid still only done the one block myself) and now going over to check how you did the concealed zip, that looks good too

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it Sarah, it;s so pretty and your quilting is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi, love the cushion, very squashable and the quilted flowers are sweet. I took inspiration and made a d4p baby quilt yesterday, though have yet to blog it. I liked the one you had done and gave it a go. My squares are very big though, so more of a quirky four patch, and less of the disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cheerful, It is a lovely pattern. Good one Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it without a binding. The colours are so fun and I have to try this block.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this finish. The colours, the stitching - the whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, it's gorgeous... Lovely colours, beautiful stitching, and great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty. I've bookmarked your description of how you did the disappearing four patch so I can try it. I really want to try it! But you know, so many other things I've started or have been wanting to try as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...