Tuesday 5 May 2015

Moda Modern Building Blocks - Block 1

I did warn you that I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation of stitching up some of those Moda Modern Stitching Blocks that I have been cutting.  I am nothing if not predictable!

So, here is Block 1.

Moda Modern Building Blocks - Block 1

When I was discussing the block cutting I did mention that this block took some rather hefty cuts out of my stash and I had generally underestimated its final size.  At 36.5" square this is really more like a mini quilt than a single block and would actually make a nice little quilt on its own.



Choosing fabrics from my Bonnie and Camille stash box has been fun.  This block is mostly from Miss Kate with a little red from Daysail.  Where the blocks call for a background fabric I've decided to work with three white on cream blenders which work beautifully to tie in the varying cream and white aspects of the various B&C fabrics I will be using.  One is a dottie cream fabric from Miss Kate and the other two are Moda Muslin Mates fabrics - a hexagon print and a small houndstooth pattern.

The cutting instructions of the rotating pattern cards provide measurements for making HSTs and flying geese by cutting triangles before piecing them.  While this is probably the least wasteful cutting method (very helpful in a quilt with such large fabric requirements) it is definitely my least favourite method of piecing HSTs and flying geese.  I seem to get less accurate results with this method and I prefer to avoid working with the bias edges when I can.  However, it looks as though I'm going to have to get used to it as the majority of the blocks in the quilt make prolific use of them!  Suck it up, Sarah!!



5 comments:

  1. This block is lovely, your fabric choices work really nicely. You can always make those HSTs and geese with another method, unless of course you have already cut the pieces all out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each block is over 36"? Wow that will be some quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this block, especially the centre! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous block!!

    P.S. Starch may become your best friend with all those bias edges!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...